Did you know…
- BMC Client Management can display all VMs configured to a host (Windows or Linux host)
- BMC Client Management provides the state of those VMs (Started, Stopped, Paused)
- BMC Client Management provides the ability to change the state of assigned VMs (Shut Down, Start, Pause, Resume)
- BMC Client Management works for ESX Hosts, Windows Hypervisors, and VMWare Workstation.
The ability to perform this management is available under our “Inventory” functionality. I believe this is one of the most under utilized element within the BMC Client Management Suite. Consider these use case scenarios:
- Validate VMs are running prior to “Patch Window” begins to ensure all devices are patched.
- Turn on those devices from the BMC CM GUI prior to patch window beginning.
- Pause all running VMs prior to host being patched and rebooted.
- Resume those paused VMs after host is rebooted using this single interface
- Provides a simple method to view all running VMs per host (Load)
- Verify compliance, no unauthorized VMs running on WAN
- Allow Level 1 Support Tech to DEV VM HOST(S) to manage state of VMs
- This feature would allow lower level technicians the ability to “Start” QA or DEV VMs upon request without the need for a Server Admin to perform this low level function.
- Upon completion of “testing” the Technician can “Stop” or “Pause” these VMs.
- V-Center does not manage VMWare Workstations where BMC Client Management does.
BMC Client Management combines the granularity of permissions, ability to have a single interface, and ability to manage VMs running under VMWare Workstation, Client Management offers a true alternative to ease the burden of infrastructure and security management.
Sr. Systems Consultant